Rice provides one-fifth of all calories worldwide. Rice is also responsible for up to 20% of global methane emissions per Project Drawdown. The baseline scenario in China, where rice paddies are continuously flooded, allows for methane-producing microbes to thrive as they feed on decomposing organic matter in the water.
This project provides the ditches, reservoirs, and training needed for controllable irrigation and drainage which can conserve water, increase production, and reduce methane emissions. Methane (CH4) emissions from rice cultivation can be reduced by nearly 50% with improved irrigation and drainage systems.
This nature-based solution taps into the microbial process of rice production to reduce global methane emissions. Farming is a major source of income for families in the area, so increased yields are valuable. Rice is a crucial staple for local farmers and the whole country, so higher yields will help increase food security and resilience in the face of climate change.
Methane (CH4) is an extremely potent greenhouse gas that can have up to 20x more warming potential than carbon.
In addition to delivering methane emission reductions to take climate action (SDG 13), the project delivers other benefits:
- No Poverty: In each project area, a team of local farmers are hired as technicians in each project area to manage the new processes, which brings addition income to their families and improving living standards.
- Zero Hunger: The application of a intermittent flooding method can increase local rice yields.
- Quality Education: In addition to training farmers in new advanced skills, a portion of the proceeds from carbon finance goes to local schools to buy books and supplies.
- Gender Equality: Women are given priority in recruiting technicians, and so far the majority, well over half, of the local technicians are women.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Constructing the ditches and reservoirs for intermittent water management creates thousands of job opportunities for local farmers.
Our goal is to deliver 1 billion tonnes of emissions reductions by 2030
600+ projects have been supported by Climate Impact Partners
100+ million tonnes of emissions reduced through carbon finance
Delivering towards the Global Goals
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Decent Work and Economic Growth
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Explore our projects
Explore our range of projects across the globe: nature based solutions, health and livelihoods and sustainable infrastructure.Explore
We are the leading solutions provider for carbon offsetting, net zero, carbon neutrality and carbon finance project development.Read more