- Nature-Based Solutions Commercial Manager, Latin America
- The role is focused on building commercial partnerships for International Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) projects under recognised voluntary carbon standards.
- Climate Impact Partners has a global presence spanning UK (Oxford and London), US (multiple locations), Kenya, Brazil, Guatemala, Colombia, and France. For this role flexible working in any Latin America location can be discussed.
- 12-month contractor agreement
- Reports To:
- Managing Director for Latin America
The role is focused on building commercial partnerships for International Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) projects under recognised voluntary carbon standards. NBS is an increasingly important part of our business. Many of Climate Impact Partners’ clients would like NBS projects as part of a portfolio to meet their climate and wider corporate objectives. We are expanding our award-winning project development capability to respond to the growing client demand and drive future growth.
You will work closely with an experienced Project Development team and Portfolio Management colleagues, leading the origination and screening of NBS project development opportunities, in which you will work with reputable local organisations in project design and implementation. You will lead on commercial due diligence, working closely with technical specialists on technical aspects. Working with client-facing colleagues you will develop commercial propositions that meet the needs of both projects and clients and negotiate commercial agreements with project counterparties.
Reporting into the Managing Director for Latin America and the Global Director of Project Development you will be at the centre of accelerating the growth of Climate Impact Partners’ International NBS project development portfolio, building on our leading reputation as a voluntary carbon project developer.
- Lead origination and screening of project development opportunities; help set the criteria for what ‘good’ looks like.
- Work closely with client-facing teams to ensure that the project pipeline will meet current and future needs.
- Co-ordinate project due diligence, lead on the commercial due diligence aspects and working with the technical lead on technical and standards due diligence; to include site visits as needed.
- Develop commercial propositions for projects that also meet the needs of clients and Climate Impact Partners' commercial objectives, appropriately balancing risks and rewards for each party.
- Lead negotiations with project counterparties through to completion.
- Ongoing oversight of operational partnerships and projects to ensure performance and delivery.
- Keep up to date with changes in voluntary carbon standards (including emerging jurisdictional standards) and help shape Climate Impact Partners’ NBS growth strategy.
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- 5-10 years’ experience in commercial roles in a relevant setting preferred; the ideal candidate will have experience in NBS project development, carbon finance or carbon markets.
- Track record in originating, structuring, negotiating and managing commercial agreements, ideally with private and not-for-profit counterparties.
- Understanding of the voluntary carbon market; understanding of the key principles of the voluntary carbon standards such as VCS/CCB and Gold Standard, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals is helpful.
- Experience working with local implementation partners such as NGOs and private companies, with an understanding of the on-the-ground challenges, particularly in developing markets.
- Experience of managing a pipeline of opportunities through to delivery.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO
- Is creative is finding pragmatic commercial solutions in a space with no ‘cookie cutter’ templates.
- Has a track record in managing productive partnerships; able to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Is prepared to challenge project partners constructively to ensure that project assumptions are credible and robust.
- Has a strong attention to detail and able to identify what is most important to address.
- Can manage competing priorities and is respectful of others’ time in a busy organisation
- Sets high standards for ethical behaviour
- Language skills (Portuguese, Spanish and English) would be an asset.
- Able to travel internationally to project sites.
About Climate Impact Partners
Natural Capital Partners and ClimateCare have merged to form Climate Impact Partners. By working with our climate-leading clients and quality project partners, we will reduce 1 billion tonnes of carbon emissions by 2030.
Climate Impact Partners is dedicated to tackling climate change and improving lives. It aims to make our world a climate neutral one – where everyone takes full responsibility for their carbon footprint.
Climate Impact Partners helps organisations take responsibility for their climate impact by financing, developing, and managing carbon reduction projects across the world. Headquartered in Oxford, UK, with offices and people in Nairobi, London, USA, Guatemala, Brazil, Colombia, and France, Climate Impact Partners helped create the voluntary carbon market and pioneered carbon finance for community development projects. Some of the largest carbon offsetting programmes in the world are delivered by Climate Impact Partners. We work with over 500 clients and over 600 projects around the world.
Leading organisations and governments trust Climate Impact Partners to solve complex climate and sustainability issues. With Climate Impact Partners by their side, they can be confident on their journey to net zero. Since 1997, Climate Impact Partners and its partners have cut over 100 million tonnes of CO₂ and improved quality of life for more than 46 million people around the world.
Climate Impact Partners has ambitious plans to double its impact and scale. This is supported by new growth minded investors. We are looking to build our team with exceptional leaders who are excited and driven to shape and deliver this ambition.
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in the role, please apply here.
46 million lives improved
1 billion We will deliver one billion tonnes of emission reductions by 2030